Search This Blog

Monday, October 2, 2023

New Work with Glenn Rudolph

As you may recall, I have been creating new hymns and anthems with Pittsburgh sacred music composer Glenn Rudolph for many years.  Looking back, I think the first piece we did together was around 2000, but I will double check to be sure.  Some of these new pieces have been published and are available for church musicians to select and present in their congregations.





Not long ago, Glenn asked me if I would write the text for a new anthem he was writing.  Based on an old and beloved tune, but modified and adapted by Glenn for our present age.  I was glad to give it a go.

Sometimes, working on hymns, it takes a lot of time, trial and error, and fine tuning to get the hymn text into a singable form that I am pleased with.  That is part of the creative process, and something I enjoy doing.  I anticipated this request would go something like that.  But I was happily surprised.  This hymn text practically wrote itself. In a very brief period of time.  Did I feel particularly inspired?  Yes indeed.  And the result not only worked, it was also "as it was meant to be".

At least I thought so.  And then, I sent it to Glenn to see what he thought of it.  His immediate answer back was: "Perfect!"

Isn't it great wen a plan comes together like that?  

So, here's the thing.  Glenn tells me that BEFORE he seeks publication for a new piece, he shares it with friends and colleagues, so they have a first chance preenting it, and also they can give some good feedback on how it was received, both by the choir presenting it and the congregation that received it.  He has done that.  And encouraged me to do the same.  So I sent it out, and have had some encouraging replies from friends who are anticipating presenting it in the near future.  As I learn when they will do so, I will update this post, so you can have a chance to hear it.

The anthem is called "Rejoice! Salvation's Come!" and it begins with the line "Why am I thankful every day?"  the tune is known to those who know the old old hymn "The Gate Ajar for Me" - except Glenn has giving it a new extra verve.  When I heard it, I told him he has a hit on his hands.  At least, that is my conviction.

Stay "tuned" for updates as they come!

No comments: